West Indies’ assistant coach Roddy Estwick has expressed confidence in the squad by saying that the players are ready give a tough time to world Champions England in their upcoming first-ever ‘bio-secure’ tour.
The West Indies squad, consisting of 25 players will leave for England today and will spend 14 days in quarantine before starting training. The Caribbean men are scheduled to play 3 Tests starting from July 8.
Speaking about the tour via a press release, Estwick said that the squad is more balanced than it previously was. He went on to say that the players have more experience onw compared to the last time they faced England in a Test series.
“Three years ago in 2017, it was a very, very young unit. Now we’ve got seasoned Test players, we’ve got players with 50 Test matches so I think once we can hit the ground running and get the preparation in, get some match practice under our belts we can be a lot better,” he said.
Estwick also said that alot is being expected of the talented youngsters in the team who can be dangerous against any sort of opposition.
“We’ve got youngsters coming through. We’ve got Rahkeem Cornwall who could be a big threat in England especially if the weather stays the way it is. We’ve got Chemar Holder who just had an outstanding first-class season and we’ve got Alzarri Joseph who’s improving all the time,” he concluded.